Arkansas is our home, and we look out for our neighbors.

Answers To Frequently Asked Questions

Facing the legal system can be intimidating. Whether you need help with your divorce or need a staunch advocate to defend your rights against a criminal charge, our Conway attorneys are here for you at The Sanders Firm PLLC. You can contact us to schedule a free consultation, but in the meantime, please see some answers to frequently asked questions below.

Is it possible to have my record expunged or sealed in Arkansas?

In Arkansas, you can seal your records if you meet certain requirements. You can petition to seal most misdemeanor offenses but must wait five years after you complete your sentence for convictions, including sexual assault and domestic battery. If you have only one felony, you can seal your record depending on your conviction. Some felonies cannot be sealed, including violent felonies, sexual felonies, manslaughter and any felony with a maximum prison sentence of 10 years or more.

How long will the charges stay on my criminal record?

Felony and misdemeanor convictions stay on your criminal record forever. However, depending on your circumstances and conviction, you may be able to seal your record.

Why would I need an attorney for a simple traffic ticket?

While hiring an attorney for a traffic ticket is not mandatory, it can make a huge difference in the outcome of your case. Our attorneys at The Sanders Firm PLLC, can help negotiate a better deal to avoid harsh penalties such as license suspension and increased insurance rates.

Can my driver’s license be revoked if I am convicted of a DWI?

Yes. In Arkansas, your license is automatically suspended, even for a first-time offender. A first-time offense may result in a suspended license for six months. A second or third DWI within five years can result in a 24 to 30 months license suspension. However, you may obtain a restricted license by installing an ignition interlock device in your vehicle.

Can I refuse to take a breath test if I am pulled over for drunk driving?

You can refuse to take a breath test after being pulled over for a DWI, but your refusal can cause greater problems for you down the road. Arkansas has implied consent laws, meaning that by operating a motor vehicle, you consent to a chemical analysis for detecting alcohol or drugs. If you refuse a breath test, your license can be suspended.

What are the differences between felony and misdemeanor charges?

The main differences between a felony and a misdemeanor lie in the type and length of punishment upon conviction. A misdemeanor in Arkansas can lead to a prison sentence of up to one year. Crimes with a prison sentence of over one year are charged as a felony.

Can I be expelled from school if I am convicted of a crime?

Yes, depending on your college’s guidelines and policies, you may face expulsion after a criminal conviction. Even without expulsion, you could face penalties such as loss of scholarship or financial aid.

Connect With Us To Discuss Your Case

It can be overwhelming to sort through legal information and understand what your options are. To schedule a free consultation and discuss your case, contact our Conway office at 501-400-7352 or reach out to us online.